If your website has been attracting tens, hundreds or even thousands of visitors on a daily basis, you have probably been wondering how to turn this flow into revenue.
- After all, it takes money and effort to get leads; by having world class content, through Search Engine Optimization (SEO), by sending out hundreds of emails on a daily basis, by having a Facebook Page for your site, and through other digital marketing channels.
- It makes sense therefore that to want to turn all the leads that you have been generating through your website into customers.
How then do you turn all the traffic that you have been receiving into money?
- Fortunately, there are a number of ways through which you can monetize your website.
There are many ways through which you can monetize your website
Sell your products through your website
The first and most obvious way through which search engine traffic can be monetized is by selling your products through your website.
- From a marketing point of view, generating revenue, one way or the other, is the reason why the website exists in the first place.
- It is either there to advertise your company’s goods and services or as an interface between your digital and your physical presence.
- There are probably thousands of companies out there that are generating revenue through sales on websites. Whatever goods and services you specialize in; it is likely that they can be sold through your site.
- A bestselling writer might, as an example, turn the traffic that he attracts to his website into revenue by selling books directly from the site.
Another well tested way of turning search traffic into revenue is through affiliate programs. Companies, such as Amazon, Shareasale, eBay and Flexoffer, offer website owners the chance to earn money by selling products on their sites.
Amazon’s Associate program
- The eBay partner network takes affiliate marketing to the next level, not only by partnering with bloggers and website owners, but also by offering commissions to individuals who generate sales by sharing product links through their Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- It is possible for affiliates to earn as much as 10% through Amazon’s Associates program.
Advertising is another way through which you can make money off your website. Depending on the number of visitors whom you are attracting, you could even auction off advertising real estate to the highest bidder.
- You can also exploit your site’s popularity through Pay Per Click (PPC) advertising networks such as Google Adsense.
- One of the best things about Adsense is that it does not take much to get set up. All that you need to do is put a few lines of code onto your website, and you are set.
- Google takes care of the content, based on a visitor’s previous browsing history, and you get paid each time someone clicks on an advertisement.
Adsense offers a nice interface through which you can track your advertisements
Keep traffic coming
Whichever method is used to monetize a website, it is clear that the ultimate goal should be on retaining the search traffic that is currently being generated.